LAW AND STRATEGY FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND INVESTMENT
Our clients need to be able to navigate and grow in the international trade arena, underpinned by international law
Federico Cruz is a Trade and customs specialist with 11 years of experience in high level international negotiations. Specialized in the operational aspects of the importation and exportation of goods, including, duties applicable, rules of origin, customs procedures and formalities. Thorough understanding and knowledge of how businesses can make use and take advantage of preferential/free trade agreements to optimize their costs related to the importation and exportation of goods. Experienced in advising governments on the implementation of the WTO-Trade Facilitations Agreement. At ease at developing and maintaining relations with stakeholders, both in the private and public sectors. Experienced in managing classified or sensitive information.
TILPA - International Trade and Investment Law since April 2018
- Provide trade optimization advisory to enterprises, including the improvement of suppliers’ management and the reduction of costs associated with legal and administrative requirements in relation to importation or exportation.
- Provide technical assistance on customs procedures and regulations.
Senior Trade Officer
European Free Trade Association (EFTA) September 2011 – September 2017
- Managed a team of trade specialists in the preparation and implementation of Free Trade negotiations with Russia, Central American States, Chile and Vietnam. Advised the EFTA Member States on the economic and political developments underlying the FTA negotiations; Ensured the timely conclusion of FTA agreements, including their signing and ratification.
- Established, developed and maintained trusted relationships with EFTA’s stakeholders in relation to the negotiations, including private companies and the EFTA Member States. Promoted the specific interests of the industry in the negotiations. Provided in-depth analysis on issues related to FTA agreements or negotiations. Developed trusted relationships with negotiating counterparts.
- Managed the negotiations on Trade in Goods, including Agriculture. Took part in negotiations on Trade and Sustainable Development and Government Procurement.
Trade Policy Advisor
Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the WTO (SECO) November 2007 – August 2011
- Represented the Swiss position in the WTO negotiations in the areas of trade in goods, agriculture, trade and environment, trade facilitation and in the negotiations on the accession of new members to the WTO.
- Contributed to the definition and/or updating of the Swiss position in the WTO negotiations.
- Coordinated the G10 farm importing countries coalition. Drafted common positions, formal negotiating proposals and political statements on behalf of the group.
- Worked closely with the Swiss Chief negotiator in the areas under my responsibility; Part of the Swiss delegation in the WTO Ministerial meetings and had an active role in briefing the Minister.
- Master’s degree in International Relations and European Studies, University of Geneva (2007)
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of Geneva (2003)
- Federal Swiss “Maturité” (College Degree), Collège Rousseau / Geneva (1996)
- French - Mother tongue
- Spanish - Second Mother tongue
- English - Full professional proficiency
- German - Professional working proficiency